Positively Perfect Mashed Potatoes
If you've been searching for perfect mashed potatoes...Look no further!
Like this recipe? Want more?
Check out our recipe book.
- 1 1/3 lbs. (4 medium) Michigan russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 to 2/3 cup hot milk or cream
- In large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, potatoes and 1 teaspoon of the salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly.
- Return to saucepan; heat over medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry potatoes, stirring occasionally.
- In saucepan, mash potatoes with potato masher or fork, or beat with electric hand mixer until chunky.
- Stir in butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup of the hot milk. Add additional milk, a little at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.