Red Potato and Cucumber Bites
Lighten up your holiday table with Little Red and Green Potato Appetizers which start with a base of colorful fresh vegetables: red potatoes and crisp cucumbers.
- 2/3 lb. (about 12) small red potatoes, uniform in size
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 oz. sliced smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 12 slices (1/2 inch thick) English cucumber
- Snipped chives, dried dill weed and/or drained capers, for garnish
- Halve potatoes; cut and discard a very thin slice from skin side of each half.
- In 2-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with water; add salt.
- Bring to boiling over high heat, reduce heat, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of potatoes.
- Drain and cool potatoes to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix cheese, salmon, lemon juice and pepper to blend thoroughly.
- With a small spoon, mound salmon mixture onto potato halves and cucumber slices, dividing equally (1 to 1 ½ teaspoons each).
- Arrange on a serving plate and add your choice of garnishes.
(If not served immediately, these can be prepared several hours in advance; cover and refrigerate. For best flavor, return to room temperature just before serving.)