Beer Cheese Potato Soup
Beer, cheese, potatoes, oh my! Try this rich and cheesy soup for your next Fall meal!
Recipe Source: Lily The Wandering Gypsy
- 8 cups chopped russet or baking potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped or grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped or grated white onion
- 3 ounces chopped lean ham, cubed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beer
- 3 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
- In large pot, heat butter over medium until bubbly.
- Add carrot, onion and ham. Sauté 5-10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock, stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Put about half the soup in a blender and process until smooth. Add back to pot.
- Add beer, cheese and milk. Stir to combine. Garnish with shredded cheese of your choice, sour cream, crackers and sprouts if desired.
- Blending only half of the soup smooth gives it a great texture. If you’d like to make this soup vegetarian, simply skip the ham and use vegetable stock instead of chicken – it will still be rich and delicious!