Tomato Potato Florentine Soup
Add a small swirl of basil pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to each bowl of this potato florentine soup for added Italian flavor.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Check out our recipe book.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced celery
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes (1 26-oz. jar marinara sauce)
- 1 lb. russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion, celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes to lightly brown.
- Stir in stock, tomatoes, potatoes and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour back into the saucepan and stir in spinach; cook for a minute or 2 more to wilt the spinach.