Light and Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Looking for a loaded baked potato soup with less calories, but all of the flavor? This is the perfect soup for you!
Recipe Source: Registered Dietitian Tara Gidus
- 6 medium white potatoes, diced
- 8 ounces (or 2 ½ cups) frozen cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 leek, washed and chopped thinly
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth*
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese*, for topping
- 5 slices center-cut bacon, microwaved and crumbled for topping
- Chives, chopped for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Fill large pot with potatoes and salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. When potatoes have finished cooking, drain water and set potatoes aside in bowl or colander.
- While potatoes are cooking, line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. To prepare broccoli, remove bottom part of stem, and slice into bite-sized florets leaving an inch of the stem intact. Place broccoli on prepared baking sheet, lightly drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with pinch of salt and ½ teaspoon garlic. Roast in oven for 20 minutes until crispy.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Sauté leeks, crushed red pepper, and garlic until leeks soften, about 1-2 minutes. Add cauliflower and vegetable stock, increase heat to medium-high and cook until cauliflower is soft. Remove pot from heat, and add potatoes, milk, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Using an immersion blender, (or transfer soup to regular blender), puree soup until smooth and creamy.
- To serve, ladle one cup of soup into a bowl and top with cheese, bacon, chives, and roasted broccoli. Enjoy! Makes 10 servings.
- Note: Boil or microwave broccoli for the topping if you don’t want to fire up your oven for roasted broccoli.