Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a hearty meat filled pie with a crust or topping of mashed potatoes.
For Meat Mixture
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1 1/2 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 c. Frozen Peas
- 1 c. Frozen Corn
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 2/3 c. Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley, For Garnish
- Make the beef mixture: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add Onions, carrots, and garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant and softened, 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes more. Drain fat.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn and cook until warmed through, 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to evenly distribute. Cook one minute more and add chicken broth. Bring to simmer and let mixture thicken slightly, 5 minutes.
- Top beef mixture with an even layer of mashed potatoes and bake 20 minutes or until there is very little liquid visible and mashed potatoes are golden. Broil if desired.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.