Pack a meal into one hand with potatoes. This versatile dish plays across all global cuisines and can be enjoyed at any day part. Utilizing potatoes with the masa flour creates a gluten-free substitute. Create meal time favorites using potato flakes or left over mash potatoes and switch up the filling with your favorite flavors.
- 2 cups Masa Flour
- 4 cups Potato Flakes
- 4 cups Hot Water
- 1 TBSP Salt, Kosher
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
Filling (per 2oz dough ball)
- 1 TBSP (2lbs total) Cooked Bacon, 1/4” Dice
- 1 TBSP (2lbs total) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Fine Shred
Chive Sour Cream
- As Needed Sour Cream
- As Needed Chives, sliced very thin
Dough Recipe Directions
- Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- On low speed, combine all dry ingredients.
- Slowly add water on low speed until dough forms. Dough should be thick and sticky.
Assembly Recipe Directions
- Make water & oil mixture. Coat your hands well with it. This will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands and will hydrate the dough as you assemble.
- Divide dough into 26ea/2oz balls, by weight. Keep them covered with a damp towel so they don’t dry out.
- Place a ball in the palm of your hand, and with the thumb of your other hand, make an indentation in the center of the ball. Pinch sides up a bit to make a well for the filling.
- Add filling, and pinch dough around filling to enclose. Gently flatten by hand out to a 4” disc. Repeat for the remaining dough balls.
- Cook pupusas in a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat until center slightly puffs up and pupusa is browned in spots and crispy on the outside.
- Serve hot with a side of sour cream garnished with chives.