Tater Tombstones with Chili and Cheese
Crispy potato half-shells are filled with chili and cheese then topped with sour cream, black beans, and green onions to resemble ghoulish ghosts, perfect for a great Halloween treat.
- 1 lb. Russet Potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper as Needed
- 1 cup Prepared Chili
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup Green Onions, sliced
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F
- Wash, scrub and cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Place the pot over high heat and bring the potatoes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for 10-12 minutes until they are fork-tender but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes very well and using a spoon, scoop out some of the potato to create little potato boats (discard the filling, or save for soups, mashed, etc.)
- Arrange the potato boats on a baking sheet lined with foil. Brush the inside of the potato boats with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and allow the potatoes to roast for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and keep them warm until ready to use.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of chili into the potato shells and top each one with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar.
- Place the stuffed shells under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the tater shells from the oven and garnish with black beans, green onions, and sour cream to make spooky ghosts.