Johnson Brothers farm is located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Sagola, Michigan with land farmed in both Iron and Dickinson Counties. The farm was established by Elmer and Senia Johnson as a typical farm of its time but started with potatoes around 1931. In 1956 the cattle were sold from the farm and the main operations were potatoes and logging. Elmer and Senia's sons Melvin and Donald Melvin focused on the potatoes while Donald took care of the logging. In 1961 after Donald's passing the farm shifted it's focus entirely to potato farming by Melvin. Melvin worked the farm inspiring future generations until his death in 2019.
Currently, there are three generations working on the farm. Dale and Rodney Johnson, Faith & John Kuzak, Jason and David Johnson, Donavon & Robert Kuzak, and Nathan & Trent Johnson. The farm currently grows approximately 300 acres of potatoes and rotate approximately 1100 acres in all. Johnson Brothers Farm currently focused on russet varieties including Silverton, Burbank, and Norkotah.
In 2007 Spudland Farms is formed by Jason, David, and John (Faith’s husband) bringing the fourth generation into the potato business.